Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gingerbread decorating party

We held our first Gingerbread Decorating party last weekend. We wanted to have a catch up with friends before Christmas and thought this would be a great way to get together and have a bit of messy fun.
Initially we planned to make enough gingerbread houses for one per family. They could then decorate their own and take it home.
Here's the thing though. We only have a small oven. A small freezer, and we started cooking the night before. Hmmmmmm........... Not our best forward planning!!!! Once we had made one (and by we, I mean dear husband. He is the family's cook. It would have taken me MUCH longer) we realised that we would be up all night.
So we had a re-think and decided that gingerbread men would be much faster and easier. The kids could then decorate their own. Next year we will be more organised, I hope.


There were enough Gingerbread men for the kids to make several each. I am the Queen of over catering so there were far too many lollies.


We had asked each guest to bring a bag of lollies to share but didn't need them. In fact I sent people home with them and still have about 10 unopened bags of freckles, smarties, jubes etc sitting in my cupboard. Ready for Christmas I guess!!!









This was a great example of a party thrown together at the last minute that is still loads of fun. If I had spent more time on organising it I could have printed out cute invitations, made nice little bags to send the gingerbread home in, had a hot chocolate bar (I really wanted to do this but it was too hot). I have so many other ideas for next year but it was also quite nice to send out facebook invites, send the gingerbread home in little plastic boxes and just have cold drinks served in Santa cups. Low maintenance, very last minute and still very enjoyable.



I didn't realise that you could buy pre-made Gingerbread houses at the supermarket so one of my friends brought a couple with her. They were super cute once the kids had decorated them but if you are looking for tasty gingerbread houses, please make your own. These ones tasted like cardboard.

Needless to say I have big plans already in the pipeline for next year. He he!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment